Re: gnome panel 2 background

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 11:41:18AM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> 	2. This way should be a *lot* faster ... Instead of getting
> 	   the rgb from a pixmap, sending it to the applet via a CORBA
> 	   call, creating a pixbuf from the rgb and then rendering it
> 	   - we send the XID of the pixmap, and offsets into that
> 	   pixmap to the applet and then do an XCopyArea of the
> 	   applets portion of the pixmap into another pixmap.

Note that it's also possible to then grab the rgb from X as well.  Not as
nice, but also as I've found it's much more common to use an X pixmap rather
then an rgb.  If you want to render alpha on drawable, it will actually be
even faster then rgb fiddling on the client side with xrender (but slower
without it:)  (I don't know what's the state of gdk with respect to this,
but it's the right way to go)

In any case, when would you need the rgb directly.  I mean, you never really
want to strech, scale or do anything else to it, since the whole idea is for
the background to be exactly the same as on the panel.

> 	I'm just about to check the applet-side of all this into
> libpanel-applet. If anyone who understands gdk/X well has the time to
> have a look over it, I'd really appreciate it :-)

Cool, I'll take a look later ...

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   Where all men think alike, no one thinks very much.