Re: gnome panel 2 background

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Bill Haneman wrote:

> Chris said:
>
> > My current thought is for the panel to save a pixmap of it's background
> > as rendered on screen (the whole size of the panel). The child applet
> > could then simply get it's coordinates and copy the section that it will
> > be covering.
> >
> > So the question is, does anyone have a more robust scheme to deal with
> > this? (keep in mind that we will probably be needing to support
> > transparent panels and the like)
>
> And Mark said:
>
> > >      What's currentyl there is completely borken :-)
>
> >         Yes, this is more or less the solution George suggested and
> > will get done in time :-)
> >

> And Alex said...
>
> > The idea is to have a Pixmap of the current background, and send the xid
> > of the pixmap and the offsets in it to the applet when the background
> > changes.
> >
> > I have some extensive changes to PanelWidget planned which will change all
> > this and make it work more like normal Gtk+ widgets.
> >
> > / Alex
>
> Whoa there,
>
> I am not sure having the Panel export pixmaps/do special panelly
> weirdness for its background is a good idea...  In previous discussions
> with Panel2 folks I emphasized that the Panel needed to be
> theme-compliant...  If so then the Panel applets should get their
> background info (including pixmaps) from the theme!  Alex, if
> theme-compliance is one of the ways you have in mind that Panel should
> be more like normal GTK+ widgets, then that's great.

Unless you specifically set a background you get the theme
color/background. This thread is about how to communicate a specifically
set background image to the applets (since they may be in a different
process).

> I think that having the Panel do significantly non-GTK+-ish things for
> its rendering is a bad idea.   It's certainly a nightmare for
> accessibility.  And surely if I change my desktop GTK+ theme via gtkrc,
> I would want to panel to play along...

What is non Gtk+-ish about it? The panel has been able to set a background
image forever, just like you can set a desktop background image.

/ Alex