Re: [Usability] Instant Apply Windows

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 01:47:59PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In the interests of fostering some more direct discussion on the topic, here
> is what I consider to be a reasonable compromise. Please follow up with
> arguments as to why *this particular idea* may be suboptimal, inaccessible,
> unusable, etc.
>
> [ I don't think it's necessarily perfect, I'd just prefer to see discussion
> on concrete ideas rather than random musings and flame. ]
>
>   +---------------------------------------+
>   | My Crackrock Settings             _ X |
>   +---------------------------------------+
>   |                                       |
>   |   [ ] Goat-inspired                   |
>   |   [ ] Monkey-inspired                 |
>   |   [ ] Pants-inspired                  |
>   |   [ ] HP-inspired                     |
>   |                                       |
>   |   [ Help ]                 [ Done ]   |
>   |                                       |
>   +---------------------------------------+
>
> Things to note: available WM buttons, help and done (same style as
> dialogues).

I think this solution is quite good.  'Done' is perhaps also much better then
'Close' or 'OK', since I'm saying, I'm done with changing things.  I'd also
like to see some way to 'Revert' things.  So perhaps change this to:

   | My Crackrock Settings             _ X |
   |   [ ] Goat-inspired                   |
   |   [ ] Monkey-inspired                 |
   |   [ ] Pants-inspired                  |
   |   [ ] HP-inspired                     |
   |   [ Help ]      [ Revert ] [ Done ]   |

Revert is very useful since then you can mess with settings and don't have to
worry about losing your already nice setup.  I do this quite often.  Also say
there is a long text property and I by mistake wipe it, and I want it to be
like it was before, then Revert can save my day.

(This all could also be an argument for using PonG.  If people used pong we
 could experiment with different button layouts, or even have button layouts
 configurable or whatever we want.  And we'd always get consistency over all
 apps.  That being said, PonG is not yet ported to GNOME2, mostly due to
 lack of interest by others.  I'll start on the port sometime this month or
 so.)

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   Personally, I'm always ready to learn, although I do not