Re: Will there be user/newbie friendly printer access in Gnome 2?

On Tue, 2002-02-12 at 19:27, Damon Chaplin wrote:

> I don't think GNOME 2 will have any way to configure printers/print job
> settings.
>
> I'd like to see something get into 2.2, though. I think we should make
> CUPS the preferred method, just as KDE Print does.

How did things go that way? This seems an incredible oversight to me. I
know, it's all voluntary and I should have helped, but it would seem
companies with an interest in Gnome, i.e., Ximian and to a lesser extent
Sun really should have done something about it. This is an area were
Gnome is very unaccessible to newbies, and I would think every new user
who tries both KDE and Gnome would shake his/her head about Gnome when
comparing the ease of printing in both DEs.
This is really very strange

--

I did not vote for the Austrian government