Re: On disk theme format for icons?

I'd like to also propose putting the theme detection stuff that is in
theme-common.[ch] in libgnome or somewhere, that apps can easily use it.
Doing this will help with the earlier proposal I made for a standardized
filesystem layout for themed things, and will allow applications to
handle setting their own themes more easily, based on it. We really
shouldn't try to shove every possible theme setting we can into one
single capplet. Having metatheme be extensible enough to handle extra
facets of the theme, such as gnomeicu icons or xmms skins, and still
keeping them out of the capplet, and keeping the UI simple seems like
the best thing to do.

If people are actually interested in the filesystem stuff I proposed
back in August, and won't just go straight for the implementation now,
as one exists (albeit a poor one, due to the haste and lack of design),
I would be glad to create a theme standard proposal for freedesktop.
The propsal would consist of filesystem layout and API specs for
allowing individual applications to comply easily.

So, what do people think?

-- dobey