Re: gnome-terminal (or vte) likes to spin the CPU

Hi,

I'm having the same problem on IRIX 6.5 also using gnome-terminal 2.1.3
and vte 0.10.7. starting gnome-terminal gives approx 98% cpu usage and
it seems to me that vte is the culprit. Especially when you start
scrolling (ls -laR /) or resizing the window, it gets really slow. I've
turned off blinking cursor and other luxuries but it remains being
extremely unresponsive. If you don't touch the terminal at all and just
leave it there for say five minutes, it uses between 20 to 30% of the
cpu. This is all tested on an O2 R10000 175mhz.

Any ideas where to look?

Rubin.

PS: vte seems to use a glibc specific function called mbsrtowcs in vte.c
when __STDC_ISO_10646__ is NOT set; is this ok? I don't think irix
supports either UTF8 or its close variant ISO_10646. I managed to hack
around this by defining ISO_10646 anyway. Not doing so gives no compile
time errors but makes libvte complain at linktime (with vte_scan) about
missing mbsrtowcs.

PSPS: in some .c files "#include <../config.h>" had to be moved down a
couple of lines because else the standard includes would override
certain defines which were set by configure in config.h. Ofcourse not
below certain #ifdef statements like _HAVE_TERMIOS_H and the like ;-).