Re: Heads up: Buggy nautilus 2.(.1.x?) interaction with NVIDIA drivers 4191

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 11:04, Chris Chabot wrote:
> Hey guys, just a quick heads-up on some weird interaction between
> nautilus 2 and nvidia's new driver revision (4191).
>
> When using nautilus to draw the desktop, moving around windows, or
> switching desktop is dog-slow (i'm talking seconds before a moved window
> is redrawn)
>
> When killing nautilus, but leaving the desktop background, everything is
> working as it should be again. Donno if any of the developers are
> running nautilus 2.x.x and nvidia's binary drivers, if so, might be
> worth taking a look whats going on. So far the only often heard
> complaint about nvidia's new drivers is with interaction w/ nautilus 2..
> so either nautilus is doing something buggy, or triggers a bug in nvidia
> drivers
>
> i verified this behaviour running CVS XFree86 & nautilus 2.1.4, but i
> saw many reports from ppl running vanilla redhat 8.0 having the exact
> same behaviour.

This is absolutely[1] not a nautilus bug. NVIDIA has long had a broken
RENDER implementation that affects the nautilus desktop drawing. It
doesn't happen on any other cards. You're lucky it doesn't completely
lock up your machine- that is what older versions of the NVIDIA drivers
do.

Luis

[1] At least, the presumption of guilt has lain on them for a long time
(that's what happens when you ship binary-only crap) and I've seen
absolutely no evidence ever presented to refute that, like, say, reports
from non-nvidia owners of the same behavior.