Re: gnome-vfs usage of GConf vs threads - doh

On 10 Dec 2002, Michael Meeks wrote:

> > With CORBA reentrancy there are no way to set up rules such that if you
> > follow them you avoid deadlocking when holding a lock over a CORBA call.
>
> 	But then again; thread per call sounds horribly expensive resource
> wise; hmm. Quite possibly a magic queueing API would be better.

I forgot to say this, but with the new Linux threading library being
implemented it will be a lot better. Thread spawning is just one syscall
(in the typical case), and taking a non-contended mutex requires only a
few instructions and no syscall. NPTL rocks your socks.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an uncontrollable day-dreaming astronaut with a winning smile and a way
with the ladies. She's a time-travelling cigar-chomping politician with a
knack for trouble. They fight crime!