Re: GnomeVFS maintainership change

On 7 Dec 2002, Seth Nickell wrote:

> It is clear that (particularly during this quarter) I have not had
> adequate time to maintain GnomeVFS, even so much as fixing critical bugs
> and doing releases. Perhaps post-graduation I will have some time to
> spend on GnomeVFS, but for now I'm choosing to spend the limited time I
> can afford for GNOME on more directly usability-related issues.
>
> While there are many new features we can all imagine for GnomeVFS, and
> many quirks left to be worked out, I feel like GnomeVFS works pretty
> well as it is, and it wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't
> acquire any new features. More important is that its existing feature
> set (which spans all the basic stuff filesystems should be able to do at
> this point, with the possible exception of ACLs and extended metadata?)
> can be relied upon by existing applications.
>
> Consequently I have selected Alex Larsson (alexl redhat com) to replace
> me as a GnomeVFS maintainer. Alex is more than just a good hacker, he is
> also one of the people most impacted by GnomeVFS changes by way of
> Nautilus. Thus I feel confident that he will maintain a good focus on
> making sure GnomeVFS keeps a stable API and a good feature set for
> practical use, though he does not expect to have time for a lot of new
> feature development.

Thank you Seth for your long work on GnomeVFS, and best luck on your
school work and usability work. I hope you'll come back to work on
GnomeVFS when time allows it.

My vision of GnomeVFS is as a small I/O wrapper library that allows
applications to do file I/O in a way much like they are used to, but that
can be seamlessly extended to new domains as the need arises in the Gnome
project.

I will do my best to keep GnomeVFS a good stable core that allows Nautilus
to be the best file manager it can be. At the same time I will try to keep
it a small dependency-free core library that all Gnome applications can
use without feeling like they are bloating their code or have to follow an
unstable complicated API.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a one-legged neurotic gangster in drag. She's a sharp-shooting mute
detective married to the Mob. They fight crime!