Re: who gets in and why, aka the GNOME Desktop inclusion criteria

Hey,

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> <quote who="Michael Meeks">
>
> > On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 01:53, Luis Villa wrote:
> > > After much discussion[1] these are the standards the release team
> > > believes we should be using to judge requests for future additions to
> > > the GNOME Desktop.
> >
> > 	And notably ( and presumably ) this is only proposed for adding
> > applications to a given release team's remit.
> >
> > 	All core platform module additions and long term development plans
> > should be done in a public fashion, purely by hackers using the GEP
> > process.
> >
> > 	It seemed the wording was rather vague there.
>
> Hmm, Luis was quite clear when he said "GNOME Desktop", which is a separate
> entity to the Developer Platform release.

	Call me stupid, but I'm still confused ...

	It sounds like somewhere along the way it has decided that
'hackers using the GEP process' governs which new libraries are
considered a core part of GNOME and the release team decides which new
applications get included ... or do I misunderstand what the
difference between "Desktop" and "Developer Platform" is ?

	So .. if I'm not mistaken, why was it decided the release team
would be the sole arbitrators and that the GEP process is of no use ?

Thanks,
Mark.