Re: Re-inventing Metatheme

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 21:55, Ian McKellar wrote:

    > i seriously doubt that choosing new definitions like 'appearance' is the
    > right way to go. personally it would be the last preferences setting
    > that came into my mind clicking on to search for 'themes'. i think that
    > a base glossary of words can be expected from people nowadays.

    "Appearance" probably pre-dates "theme" to describe a set of settings to
    determine a look. I personally like it because its actually descriptive.
    We are talking about changing the appearance of the desktop and
    applications. The word "theme" has a variety of meanings, more vauge and
    general than "appearance". But thats just me. To throw another word in,
    Kaleidoscope calls it's looks "schemes".

    Ian

I have a DooM editor that lets you have "Motifs". Appearance and Theme
are different, in how users see them. The metatheme capplet should be
called "Desktop Themes", and a general "Appearance" capplet, which would
ideally let you choose various colors, fonts, pixmaps, and the
background, and screensaver, would be called "Appearance". My proposal
also includes support for sounds, which would be called "Schemes" and
accessed through a sounds/multimedia capplet, which I am intending to
write very shortly, for the gstreamer folks. Assuming that the mouse
cursors could be themed, they would be changed individually, within the
Mouse properties capplet. It basically depends on what you are actually
changing, as to where individual settings go. The thing that changes
everything though (metatheme), should be called "Desktop Themes", or
something extremely similar.

-- dobey