Re: Re-inventing Metatheme

I have mockups for this stuff I did a few months ago, I'll dig them out
when I get home tonight (if I remember, ugh, sticking a post-it note to
my doorway ;-).

1) It would be good to integrate "editing" with the general theme
selection feature rather than treating themes as some big complicated
thing you need a seperate editor for. This makes theme "sets" (I like
this term, its good because it gently exposes the idea that these are
composed of sub-themes without bludgening the user with the concept).
I'm not sure we need the idea of "customized" themes so much. I would
propose that rather than adding the complicated of save, etc, we just
make changes happen. Having revert there to revert to the theme's old
behavior seems fine.

2) Should provide a way to open the user's themes folder for copying new
themes in. Themes should also be readable directly from tarballs so the
user doesn't have to worry about unzipping them etc. Drop and go is a
nice ideal here.

3) I can't put my finger on it, but the current layout proposed there
looks rather messy. Its heavy on frames, and low on alignment :-)

4) Metacity and GTK themes both change very quickly (plenty fast enough
for instant apply). Nautilus themes should, though I haven't checked
recently.

5) I was just going to propose the list with small versions of the
previews when I reread your message and noticed it was there ;-) Its
always nice to provide information to the user as early as possible
rather than making them select things to "find out". I think this isa
good idea.

6) It would be nice to have a way to export theme sets in a single
package that includes all the sub-themes (and not just referenecs to
them), so people can easily share them.

-Seth