Re: who gets in and why, aka the GNOME Desktop inclusion criteria

On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 20:37, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 21:48, Eric Baudais wrote:
> > While I feel you have a good set of standards for the GNOME desktop to
> > live up to I believe you have left out one of the most important
> > requirements.  I think all GNOME desktop applications need to have good
> > documentation.  This means the documentation uses the tools provided by
> > the GDP to display and install the documentation.  The documentation
> > follows the GNOME Documentation Style Guide and the GNOME Handbook of
> > Writing Documentation.  The documentation is a11y compliant.  Good
> > documentation is key to usability and educating newbies about the GNOME
> > desktop and Free Software.
>
> Fair enough. As I told John Fleck in IRC, docs got overlooked basically
> because no one ever says 'I hate the docs people and wish they'd stop
> monkeying with my app.' Unlike, say, certain other teams :) The final
> version as it goes up on the web will include under i18n a clause to the
> effect of:
>
> *docs:
>
>         Maintainers should be willing to work with the docs team, making
>         sure that docs are accessible through help buttons and build
>         properly during the build process.
>
> I hope that this is the last addition- this doc shouldn't scare anyone
> (it's 99% common sense anyone) but I fear it is reaching a length that
> is already pretty intimidating.
>
> [Which, really, is sort of my biggest worry. For those of you who
> /don't/ develop apps that are part of GNOME, but who might want to be-
> what do you think of these? Are they too intimidating? Too binding? What
> do you think? Would you be willing to do these things in order to become
> part of the desktop?]

This looks good in terms of docs. I'd really like to hear from some of
the folks who might be affected by this in respose to Luis' last set of
questions.

Cheers,
John
--
John Fleck
http://www.inkstain.net http://www.abqjournal.com

"Sometimes, a diner is all about the mac and cheese."
  - Zippy the Pinhead