Re: Two glade features that would be very useful for HIG

> I expect Damon doesn't have time to work on this so I thought I'd throw
> the thought out to a larger group of people. There are two glade
> features that would be very useful in allowing the current HIG
> guidelines to be implemented in glade alone without the need for
> supporting code calls. I don't know about the technical feasibility of
> implementing these, so maybe its just NotPossible(TM).
>
> 1) GtkDialogs have a borderwidth around the button action area. In HIG,
> alerts should have a uniform border around the whole alert, and the same
> spacing between buttons and the text. This isn't possible with a
> borderwidth set on the button action area. It would be nice to be able
> to change the borderwidth property on this control.

I think I recently took out the GtkDialog action area border width property
because it is now determined by the theme. If Glade sets it it will just be
overridden by GTK+ when the style is set/changed. (I'll check, though.)

> 2) GtkSizeGroups... The current HIG category and alignment
> recommendations appear not to be implementable without these. It would
> be nice to be able to define controls as belonging to size groups in
> glade. (see

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/draft_hig/images/tabbed-dialog-b
ox.png for a bad example). The basic problem is that we need alignment of
controls across category boundries (which are just frames with their Shadow
turned off). If anyone knows how to achieve this without using outside-glade
code, I'd love to hear about it ;-)

I'll have a look at this. I'm not sure how hard it is to do yet.

I'm not sure if the Glade/libglade XML format is frozen for 2.0.x at this
point, though. Adding size groups may need an update to libglade.

Damon