Minutes for G2RT meeting 2002-10-14

Minutes for Gnome 2 release team meeting 2002-08-14

Present:                Apologies:

Glynn Foster            Frederic Crozat
Karl Gaffney            Jody Goldberg
Telsa Gwynne
Mikael Hallendal
Luis Villa
Jeff Waugh

Actions
-------

  DONE: Glynn to book phone times for Wednesday, 14:00 GMT

  DONE: Glynn to spank George for GDM changes.

  PENDING: Telsa to start pulling together lists of what we are missing and
  poking people to provide the info.
  => Telsa doing this.

  PENDING: Luis to triage bugs / maintain keywords for 2.0.2
  => This is a massive job (hundreds of reports to weed) but in hand.
  => Not going to be permanently listed as an action item because
  he's giving weekly updates anyway.

  PENDING: Jeff to find GNOME hackers that have terminal test suites (for
  testing of vte and libzvt-i18n)
  => Jeff has been talking to Kjarten about this and is playing with
  vttest as I type.

  PENDING: Frederic to write GEP for release-consistent version numbering
  changes, due week after next (he's on vacation)
  => Frederic still on vacation.

  NEW: Luis to update known issues for 2.0.1

  NEW: Luis to provide links to bugfixes.

  NEW: Sort out list of new stuff expected in 2.2. On-list.

Decisions and discussions
-------------------------

  * status of 2.0.1

  2.0.1 is ready for release, lacking only good release notes.
  We need to steal most of 2.0.0 release notes and update the
  known issues (hopefully this is shorter for 2.0.1!): this
  lives in the releng module. Link also to the list of fixed
  bugs for this. By 12 hours' time so no point putting on actions:
  should be done by time minutes hit lists.

  * 2.2 schedule

  This was posted to desktop-devel-list and no-one objected wildly to this:
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2002-August/msg00106.html
  It is therefore duly blessed and now on dotplan courtesy of Hallski.
  http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/schedule/

  We need a list of hoped-for new features for each module.

  * communication - what things do we need to do now?

  This item is largely communication between release team and rest of world
  and vice versa. Learning from 2.0.0. Hallski has already updated dotplan
  a lot. Whilst it's semi-quiet (as release cycles go), it is a good time
  to work out and put in place mechanisms so everyone feels (and is..)
  informed. We shall start a weekly status report: Luis' bug updates are
  an obvious candidate; Mikael will keep on top of API docs; etc. Jeff
  pondered a release-team weblog. Telsa will faithfully promise to
  post minutes in a timely fashion. If people feel confused, they should
  say so.

  * API docs for 2.2

  This comes up every time for every release. We need them. We
  don't have enough. Some modules are brilliant. Others aren't so
  good. Should we go for the hard line "no docs, no part of 2.2" or
  should we just beg, plead, and berate? Whichever of those two
  we choose, it seems fair to require that any new APIs must arrive
  with documentation. (ABI changes are not allowed. API changes are
  not allowed. API additions, however, are.)

  Several modules already have status pages listing what is done and
  not done: I was going to provide the URL for this but decided to
  post in a timely fashion instead :)

  Mikael volunteered to look at the API docs.

  * disappearance of left-click/right-click selection

  Telsa brought this up, but it's not a release-team thing really.
  Just wanted to know whether it (a method of selecting text in
  gnome-terminal she happens to like) had been mentioned as going
  away in the release process, because she wondered whether she
  missed the mention and it startled her.

  * release-team mailing list: the return.

  Last week's final decision to err on the side of "minimum of
  additional people" was not so final: it came up again. Since we
  have already said no to Michael, we should say no to Tim and
  Leslie too. To be reviewed October 2nd (ie, two months from
  last minutes, where this was mentioned).

  * string freezes

  There was another accidental string freeze breakage: this time
  it was gedit, which got an important fix but forgot to tell
  gnome-i18n list. All sorted out now: mentioned only to remind
  hackers that gnome-i18n likes to know these things.

  * gtkhtml for Gnome 2.2:

  Do we go for gtkhtml 1 or gtkhtml 2? Or both? Yelp uses 2.
  It's about the only thing that does. We're not sure that
  everything will have moved over.

Telsa