Re: bonobo activation question

Hi Rodrigo,

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 23:38, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> just to throw some ideas to the discussion

	Which belongs on g-c-l, lets take it there.

>  I think there is a chance to
> do it very easily, simply by creating a b-a-s daemon which listens to
> some well known port

	Who listens to the 'well known port' the user ? or the machine ? if the
user, what if it's a multi-user machine ? the 'well known port' thing
just doesn't work in that case. If the machine - then, yes it'd be
lovely to have a compartmentalized activation / component registry per
machine, but it's a security nightmare; lets get the per user case
working first.

>  and gets queries from b-a-s clients requiring a remote object,

	How do you require the remote object ?

>  and just send back the IOR of those objects after having
> activated them.

	Sending the IOR back is easy; how do you activate a remote object, how
do you reconcile the remote database of what objects are present and can
be activated with what you have locally efficiently etc. etc.

> Correct me if I'm wrong please, but I really think this is an easy way
> of solving this problem and really give a meaning to the N in GNOME :-)

	I think we need to forget about the meaning of the GNOME acronym and
focus on solving real users problems, and so far - this is not one of
them.

	In summary - I want a good design for doing this before doing it, with
reference to efficiency, security, lifecycle, determinism etc. etc.

	Regards,

		Michael.