Re: Gnome 2.0: gnome-config and GConf and command-line

On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 19:18, Patrick wrote:
> Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I plan on using GConf but I need to
> allow the user to override settings - therefore I *also* need a
> configuration file format. Therefore, my question was: is it possible to
> use gnome-config for this or is it becoming obsolete and should I roll
> my own?

GConf will help deal with a number of things you want here:

-allows system admins to set a system-wide default

that...

-users can override in their local GConf settings

and...

-users can edit without using your application's preferences page by
using a tool such as gconf-editor (for humans) or gconf-tool (for
scripts)

-Seth