Re: Gnome 2.0: gnome-config and GConf and command-line

Patrick wrote:

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I plan on using GConf but I need to
allow the user to override settings - therefore I *also* need a
configuration file format. Therefore, my question was: is it possible to
use gnome-config for this or is it becoming obsolete and should I roll
my own?
GConf is a system for storing user preferences. It also allows a system administrator to add fallback databases that can hold system-wide defaults (maybe even site-wide in the future) for the applications on the system, and possibly override user preferences where appropriate. You almost definitely don't want to use gnome_config_*. It would be silly to roll your own too, as you would lose all of GConf's benefits (single interface to configuration information, self documenting through use of schemas, notification of updates, etc).

James.

--
Email: james daa com au              | Linux.conf.au 2003 Call for Papers out
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/ |   http://conf.linux.org.au/cfp.html