Re: Application names in menus

snickell stanford edu writes:

> Where does the following "algorithm" break down?

On desktop files that contain weird stuff. Such as identical Name and
GenericName, or whatever. Also you need guidelines for e.g. when a
GenericName or Name should be omitted. In some cases I don't think
Name should be there:
 GNOME Font Preferences Fonts
 GNOME Mines Mine Game

yuck. There you just want one of Name/GenericName I think. Code breaks
if you have only GenericName though.

Also there are quite a few places that do this display (in GNOME and
in KDE) and they would all have to be changed - this is the main
reason we are "just using Name" in Red Hat right now I guess. It was
too hard to fix everything to use a new algorithm.

There are also some cases where the two part name is really long
and seems sort of redundant:

 OpenOffice Impress Presentation Application
 OpenOffice Writer Word Processor

Personally I think just "OpenOffice Writer" is better, for
example. i.e. only Name. But then for e.g. the Fonts capplet I wanted
only GenericName.

Havoc