RE: Display option in multiscreen (session management)

> i don't know that this is true... i don't actually know how people use
> (non-xinerama) dual head workstations, or how applications work (well
> aside from xemacs which can spawn frames on other displays...).

I run a multihead in clone mode at home which works of course as you would
expect ;)
I have also run two distinct X servers on a multihead card.  In this case
they really do act like two distinct X servers - you cannot drag windows
from the one desktop to the other, can't cut and paste, and so on.

You can however start up applications on the other desktop from the one
desktop by changing DISPLAY.

Oh, of course you also have to run two window managers, one for each
monitor/X.

You can easily run KDE next to Gnome for example.

Running multihead this way is great for testing new X's or desktops.

Come to think of it, will Gnome allow for two instances of some of the
necessary components ? I'm not too knowledgeable on the internals
involved.

Thomas

But you never lost your beauty
Although you lost your hope
And you made no mistake you couldn't wash away
with liar's tears pouring down your face
<-*- thomas apestaart org -*->