Re: Getting serious about releasing

On 23 Apr 2002, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If we plan to release in the next decade, it's time to punt bugs.  My
> professional opinion is that the current must-fix bugzilla query
> contains a whole lot of bugs that need punting in order to
> realistically make any release dates.
>
> I've spent the last 3 hours going through the whole must-fix list in
> bugzilla and splitting it into puntable and not puntable. My list is
> appended.
>
> It's sort of a judgment call which bugs can be punted, but
> I promise you have to punt on the scale of the appended punt-list or
> we may as well go ahead and update the schedule to show a release in
> September or later. Seriously.
>
> So, if you think a bug I listed should really not be punted, either a)
> fix it right away b) suggest a bug that I have as not puntable that
> you'd punt instead or c) have the guts to go ahead and argue for a
> September or later release. Please don't do c). ;-)
>
> Luis I think we really need this reflected in bugzilla; whatever
> criteria we currently have for the must-fix list is too loose. We need
> a way to mark genuine showstoppers. Suggestions?

Well, we don't presently appear to have any must-fix bugs at all - no bugs
have the MUSTFIX keyword set. Other than that, only "blocker" (if bugs
aren't blocker level then they obviously aren't important enough) bugs
should get considered. People really should go in and mark bugs they think
are not puntable as NEEDFIX so that the more important of those got
promoted to MUSTFIX (as a side effect, we would also get a good basis of
what should happen by 2.0.1).

As for what/how NEEDFIX and MUSTFIX are, see the keyword descriptions in
bugzilla.

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding