Re: Gnome-vfs blocks cddb-capplet. Why?

iain <iain ximian com> writes:
> > If you don't consider those technical reasons then fine, but they're
> > still good reasons. ;-)
>
> Well, all except the first could be considered bugs.

Sure - I guess what I'm saying is, if I had to ship it tomorrow and
didn't have time to change anything, I'd turn it off.

> CD Information Lookup? Again easily changed.

I sort of like something like the "track titles" or "album covers" or
something concrete about what sort of information.

> I have no problem with that, I just refuse to make each application set
> it a different way. Not only does it make it possibly inconsistant, but
> also potentially confusing if every program has its own different way to
> set the properties, "Do I need to set the cddb preferences in all the
> apps or just one?"

Is it possible that the right way to avoid this problem is a shared
lib, or have the relevant apps fork/exec the same dialog?

I'm really irrationally obsessed with having only one level of
capplets under "Desktop Preferences" which means a max of maybe 15
items...

I agree that it'd be nice if you only have to configure this once for
the CD player panel applet, Nautilus, Rhythmbox, gnome-cd, etc.  which
does convince me that it could be a desktop pref, especially if we do
what we maybe should and get some or all Nautilus prefs moved into a
capplet. My intuition is that the capplet is called something
containing "CD" and contains the Nautilus/magicdev media stuff plus
the music stuff. At some point we're talking post-2.0 here.

One kinda tricky thing is that some of the magicdev prefs also apply
to Zip drives. :-/

> Although IIRC seth also said that the CD properties capplet that
> magicdev adds shouldn't be there either, so who knows what we'll do with
> that.

Yeah. The advantage of merging the CDDB stuff with CD props is that we
only need to use up one "slot" in the prefs menu, and it's easy to
find - I want to change where CD info comes from, I go to
Preferences->CD, if I want to change what happens when I put in a CD,
I go Preferences->CD.

That's kind of the main consideration in my book - in GNOME 1 to
change font you had to go Preferences->Look&Feel->ThemeSelector, now
you go Preferences->Font - i.e. control panel name needs to sync with
what people are probably looking for.

That's why I don't like subfolders, because it's pretty impossible to
come up with subfolders that are good enough - you could never have
Preferences->Foobar->CD that was as easy to find as just
Preferences->CD. At least I can't think of a Foobar that wouldn't be
sucky.

MHO, I don't maintain any of the relevant modules of course.

Havoc