Re: Help accessibility [Was: New look of the yelp TOC for review]

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 23:45, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Calum Benson">
>
> > There's also an accessibility issue with the use of black text on a grey
> > background, but I guess that's part of the wider problem we talked about
> > before (and never really solved, IIRC) about how to provide accessible
> > stylesheets to Yelp for people who need them.
>
> So,
>
> I spoke to Mikael at GUADEC about doing the Yelp stuff in a similar style to
> the new website (as our documentation can be built into the website layout
> and design quite simply now), but I'd like more info on the accessibility
> requirements beyond the usual sane colours and W3C stuff.
>
> Do you guys have any documentation I can read so that I can make sexy *and*
> accessible stylesheets?

Before you run around and try creating any CSS, here are some examples I
have tried:

http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~quasar/styleguide/index.html
GNOME foot corner.
GNOME foot icon (changable).
Coloured warnings, cautions, notes etc.

Comments:  Been thinking of taking coloured away, just having borders
around the special sections.  Haven't been able to think of a better
corner image which speaks GNOME so obviously.

http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~quasar/eg2/
Striped Corner.
Evolution Icon in corner (just pretend the docs are for evolution, it
can be specified in the XML).
I think there are just black borders around the special sections.  In
other words, there is no colour except for the background images and the
program listings (which are blue in both CSS).

In both cases:
* The font types are not touched at all.
* All font sizes are relative.
* Only non-relative sizes are for spaces above and below paragraphs.

Both use the same XSLT, by Sasha.  I use the first CSS for docs that I
create on my system, 'cause I think they look nice.

Enjoy.

Nick Curran @ Quasar