Re: Image/icon artifacting with GNOME2 and Xinerama

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think you guys are seeing an X server bug. You might see if
> disabling the XRENDER extension in the server helps. (Though I'm not
> sure how to do that.)

Indeed, it is an X server bug. Upgrading to XFree86 4.2.0-6.48 from the
skipjack beta and the latest Matrox drivers (located at
http://matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/files/lnx_200.cfm) mostly fixed
the problems I was seeing.  There is still some funkiness where
characters that are underlined to indicate keyboard acceleration
sometimes do not display until mouse over.  But that is pretty minor,
especially when compared to the major crack XFree 4.1.0 was displaying
when AA and Xinerama were dancing together.  A quick survey of the posts
to the Matrox support forum indicate that AA plus Xinerama has been and
still is a bit glitchy.  People are having problems with it under KDE as
well.  Anyway, on now to finding dual head related bugs in GNOME2.  I've
already noticed a couple of small things.  More on that later.

/ryan