Re: [Deskbar] Suggestion: "Top Hit" Module

On 11/02/2008, Tom Black <seriousnerd gmail com> wrote:
> To all,
>
> First off, thanks for all the hard work on this great applet.  I am
> constantly using it on my home computer.  However, at work, I use a Mac with
> Leopard installed.  I use Spotlight 3-5 times per hour at work and by far
> the best module in Spotlight is "Top Hit".  With "Top Hit" selected by
> default and its incredible accuracy as I type, I can breeze through the app
> like its just part of my workflow.  There are no extra key taps to get where
> I need to go like Deskbar requires.  Yes, I can rearrange the modules in
> Deskbar, but Spotlight's "Top Hit" nails all my entries every time.  It's
> just a matter of typing a partial word or phrase, then hitting the Return
> key.  Easy and seamless.
>
> What would it take to create this module?  I think adding this functionality
> would give Spotlight a run for its money.

Hmmm, why do you need this at all?

I am using the first hit in probably 90% of all use cases. You can
activate the first hit by pressing return directly in the entry. I can
not see how it can be faster...

Maybe I just don't know what "Top Hit" is about :-) Can you try and
explain it or point to a page describing it?

> I know we don't want to make a Mac-clone or Windows-Clone, but usability is
> usability.
>
> Feedback:  I really like the use of the "button" icon and keyboard shortcut
> in Gutsy.  However, the window popping up seems a step back in UI usability.
>  The list drop-down UI in previous versions was much more usable (and less
> cluttered).

This will be fixed in the next version of deskbar (the one that will
be in Ubuntu Hardy Heron).

Cheers,
Mikkel