Re: [Deskbar] Deskbar Bling - Idea

2007/1/4, Bjoern Gruening <bjoern gruenings eu>:
Hi,

according to these page http://live.gnome.org/DeskbarApplet/Ideas i have
a small idea for the bling section.
Atm, when you select an entry in Deskbar a small box with the entry
remains on top wheras the other entrys disappear.
Is it possible that the programm which we want start with the selected
entry, can fade out from the box that remains on top? Maybe with compiz?

I think that would be a nice bling effect.
kind regards,
bjoern

Yes, that would be very cool. I don't think we can do that with gtk
2.0, there would have to be more control over such stuff (animations
and compositing) natively in the toolkit to achieve this. Any one up
for a gtk 3.0? :-D

With Compiz/Beryl setting the zoom function will zoom the newly
created window out from the last mouse click position, but I normally
select stuff from deskbar with the keyboard (and suspect many people
to do so) so that is obviously not a good solution.

A related question: Is there a way to tell the compositing/window
manager "don't mess with this window - I want to add effects myself"?
**This functionality is a requirement to anything blingy at all**.
Without this compiz/beryl effects would interfere with custom effects.
Unfortunately I don't think this is possible :-(

Cheers,
Mikkel