Re: [Deskbar] Bugzilla flooding

[I was not subscribed to the list and didn't get the previous mails so I'm
replying with a new message]

Hi,

I've been pointed to this discussion on the list and want to give some
explanations about the bug flood which happened this week.

That sort of bug flood is what is happening at the moment when an
application face a crasher and is mainly due to the efficient of the new
xmlrpc bug-buddy.
(that means you are not likely to get 200 bugs/day every day and there
is no reason to panic)
The issue is known and the bugsquad team has some plans to make the
situation better. You can read the blog entry Elijah wrote previous week
about the topic:
http://blogs.gnome.org/view/newren/2006/09/30/0

The particular issue which generated all those bugs was a pygtk 2.10.2
bug. I'm the one which uploaded the broken version to edgy and I'm sorry
I didn't spot it before uploading (the pygtk programs I played with were
mostly working fine (pygtk-demo, update-manager, etc) and I'm not a
deskbar-applet user)

Somebody mentioned blocking bugs from Ubuntu. I don't think that's a
good idea. If you look at the bug you will notice some are from Gentoo.
It happens than FC6 and Mandriva 2007 are frozen at the moment and
didn't update to pygtk 2.10.2 and than Ubuntu is having a bunch of
enthusiastic GNOME users which probably explain than most of the bugs
came from edgy on that issue. It could have happened to any distribution
and it's not likely to happen again soon (pygtk don't happen every week,
edgy is mainly frozen and I'll make sure to test deskbar-applet before
uploading pygtk updates from now) so let's rather move on that issue and
encourage the bugsquad team to come with some good anti-flood solution
on the bugzilla side ;)

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher