[Deskbar] Learning Python and scripting a handler

I have an idea for a handler but I have few python skills. I'm willing to learn and have read some of the popular python tutorials. Anyways, I'm sort have got a start but am stuck figuring our which classes and functions to use and how to have deskbar parse a file. My idea is to have a handler that reads a file which has a list of commands in it and then execute the command matching the query. At first glance seems dumb but the file I'd like to parse is .aliases which contains all my alias commands. If this works as envisioned, I could create an alias of 'ff' for firefox or 'mail' for evolution or 'vt' for gnome-terminal. Once this works I have some other ideas to extend this further.

Anyone have tips for how I'd get started.

Will