Re: [Deskbar] Updater Work

2006/6/12, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel kamstrup gmail com>:
2006/6/12, Raphael Slinckx <raphael slinckx net>:
Hi !

As we discussed on IRC, i merged sebastian's work before tomorrow's
release so we can get maybe a little bug love for that.

That said i hope you'll be able to check it out and test it before
tomorrow night, so we can squash the most obvious bugs, so we won't
receive a pile of bugs for a very known reason.

To test, just take a cvs HEAD checkout, launch it the regular way, and
hope the magic happens :)

It requires a system-wide installation for ease of use, else you might
need to play with dbus-launch to launch a local dbus daemon, or launch
first the new-stuff-manager script and then while it's running the
deskbar-applet, but YMMV..

Thanks Seb, i haven't yet written your name in the credits, that will
happen soon ;)

l337! I will be testing it later today. Right now I have to paint my house, then I'll apply for some jobs - and then test the updater.

Ok, I've been plaing around a bit... And it appears to work fine! - Only and only when installed in /usr. I just installed the gmail handler and that seems to work out nice atleast...

I think we should separate the updater completely from deskbar (besides being shipped via the deskbar repos for now). But that was maybe the plan all along? It relies upon deskbar/defs.py, where it might better have it's own...

Also I think we should make a generic NewStuffClient class that uses gobject signals for communications only. Then any old PyGTK app could use this...

Cheers,
Mikkel