Re: [Deskbar] A few comments/quirks

On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 14:07 +0100, Bjørn Haagensen wrote:
> Hi again,
Thanks for the feedback ! We need it badly

> 1. Focusing (2.12). So you fixed the Alt-F3 thingy:) but the
> mousepointer can confuse things. I.e. if the categories are expanded so
> the mouse goes from not being over the popup, to being. Then the focused
> item in the deskbar will change to wherever the location of the pointer
> is. This "jumping around without me touching anything" is not so nice.
>
> Moreover if "select window when mouse is over ..." is chosen, then
> collapsing the category will result in the deskbar loosing focus. Hmmm,
> annoying;)

I removed focus-on-hover feature of the treeview (both history and
cuemiac), it feels better like this.

> 2. Webhistory items are listed as "Open history item: ?"

Interesting, are these from the web browser (epiphany) or from the
firefox beagle plugin ?

If it's from beagle's firefox, could you atach the output of
'beagle-query --verbose searchterm|grep -C10 WebHistory' with searchterm
returning some history items.

> 3. Sometimes I have to reenter the searchtext in order for 'beagle-live'
> to return results. (Beagle problem??? beagle-search is very slow for me
> right now)

Beagle 0.2.1 has problems with the snippets handling, 0.2.2 will shortly
be out and contains the fix. Using 0.2.1 is really slow when used with
deskbar since it doesn't return any snippets and rarely closes correctly
the snippet request. If you can try with beagle CVS..

> 4. (Minor stuff) Category related stuff which could be considered:
> 	-Liferea items are placed in the web-category. True, but why not in a
> "news" category as I think they used to be and as they are in
> 'beagle-search'.
>
> 	-I find it puzzling that emails and icq conversations are "documents"
> and not e.g. "email" and/or "conversations". What's the difference
> between files then? To me "documets" are stuff like pdf, ps, doc, xls,
> odt, etc.
>
> 	-Directories (from beagle) are listed as "files". Better with
> "directories", again this is the case in "beagle-search".
>
> Might be an idea to sync the category names in beagle and deskbar ui.

Yes, we started category discussion last night, we'll probably go that
way.

> 5. (Minor) Perhaps a dummy wrap around entry at the bottom of the popup.
> The only way to know you hit the bottom of a long list is to look at the
> scrollbar.

I'm not sure about that.. this would be different from any other app
using treeview or icons view..

Thanks for the feedback !