Re: [Deskbar] GMail account search

Hello all,

I think that the handler autoinstalation could be a very useful capability.

The implementation of this capability shouldn't be very complicated (a xml file for describing handlers, download and unpacking) and automatically you have all the third party handlers installed or actualized.

This tool could not only be useful for the final user, sure it could help programmers with handler development. Now, people develop handlers in their own way and they are free to code, if an halder needs auxiliary files (art files, glade files, etc), the developers have the power to choose everything. This tool may force developers to pack their handlers in a standar way ... mmm for example a simple idea, a "package" may contain separately code, art and auxiliary files and the deskbar core should offer a interface and simplify the accessing. This could help the handler development.

Also this facility could be very useful for updating handlers and solve problems with handlers and deskbar versions.

Definetively, it's a new work, but sure it could help to consolidate the project.

Cheers!

Kevin Kubasik escribió:

Ok, my first look went well. But my major concern (as with almost all
gmail related products) without a publicly released API, and with
Gmail still technically in beta, google changes minor things pretty
regularly which can majorly mess up handlers like this. While I don't
think we should give up such a cool feature. It might be prudent to
look into some way to push updates of handlers to clients.

Bear with me, maybe this has been brought up before, but a simple ftp
repo with some index.yaml (YetAnotherMarkupLanguage) file or similar
could be used to allow clients to pick what handlers they want and
download them as needed (since handlers are so small its not much
overhead all said and done). We wouldn't even need to modify the
current UI much, this could be done mostly transparently, with a
simple popup when one or more handlers are out of date.

Just a thought, but its issues like this, if google were to change a
small bit of their gmail URI and we have to initiate another release
and hope that packagers get it into their distros in time before we
get a deluge of complaints that people spammed their entire contact
list with each search term or something stupid like that.

Ok, so that's a little absurd, but you get where I'm going.

-Kevin Kubasik