Re: [Deskbar] Plugins

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 11:41 -0400, Jose daLuz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First, thanks to the developers who have built a great additon to
> Gnome, and have been quick to fix any problems -- I'm running the
> latest CVS with no problems right now.
>
> A number of people have created patches extending deskbar-applet.
> Right now, I think it has a good balance between simplicity/usability
> and usefulness, but perhaps a "drop-in" plugin design would allow
> anyone to just write and package such an extension so that users who
> want more from deskbar-applet could just download the package, put it
> in their ".deskbar/plugins" directory and restart it to get the new
> functionality (or have their distro's package manager take care of it,
> i.e. "emerge/apt-get/yum deskbar-applet-googlelive").  Or perhaps this
> is where you're going with it anyway?

This is already implemented, you can put a
~/.gnome2/deskbar-applet/handlers/xxxx.py file, and it will be imported
by deskbar at startup, showing along other regular system handlers.

Same can be said for system-wide handlers, we just need to ship a
pkg-config file for third parties being able to locate the installation
dir.

There is also need to document the plugin interface in an intelligible
way for new developpers to step in (the source code is helpful, and
existing handlers should be ok to takes as example, though)

Raf