Re: beagle indexes and cache

> does beagle cleans up its indexes and textcaches now and then?
> I mean it looks like old documents (now removed) still come up when
> searching...
> is there a way to clean indexes and textcache, or should I simply remove
> these directories in the .beagle folder now and then?

It should, but I have had the indexes get stale, especially if I worked
for awhile with the beagle service turned off.

It helps to occasionally stop the Beagle service, open a shell,  "export
BEAGLE_EXERCISE_THE_DOG=1", run "beagle-search" (yes - from the shell!),
then start the service.  This will make the service index aggressively
as fast as it can;  bringing the index up to date.  I do this on my
laptop when I go to bed - then in the morning stop the service, close
the shell, run beagle-search from the GUI (GNOME-Do!) and restart the
service [now running in an environment without BEAGLE_EXERCISE_THE_DOG
set] so it is back to running as a low-priority background service.

You can also stop the service, "rm -R ~/.beagle", "export
BEAGLE_EXERCISE_THE_DOG=1", beagle-search, start the service - to
rebuild all your indexes from scratch as fast as it can.
--
openSUSE <http://www.opensuse.org/en/>
Linux for human beings who need to get things done.