Re: Beagle: Looking for maintainer

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 6:13 PM, D Bera <dbera web gmail com> wrote:
> Beagle project is looking for a maintainer.

Yeah, I just want to reiterate that it'd be great if someone could
step up.  I also don't have the time to dedicate to Beagle what I
would like, but I can definitely help mentor people if they want to
get involved.

> I know time is always a concern for open source developers ... if only
> we could "#define DAY 10000 hours"! But seriously ... there is not a
> lot of "maintaining" to do. The current situation is - everything
> mostly works as it should and whatever does not work, would not work
> without serious design changes. So you can mark them "WONTFIX" :-)

Of course, there are lots of things to hack on too. :)

Philip Van Hoof wrote an EPlugin to make indexing of Evolution mail a
lot saner than the current hack of poking around in ~/.evolution.
He's blogged about his work here:

    http://pvanhoof.be/blog/index.php/2009/01/15/the-evolution-dbus-metadata-api

and a wiki page here:

    http://live.gnome.org/Evolution/Metadata

That's a great way to learn the internals of Beagle and really put
your fingerprint on it.  Your humble maintainer got his first start in
the Beagle codebase by writing (and then re-writing, and re-writing
again) the Evolution backends.

The file system backend could use a rewrite since the current design
is not optimal... I've written a bit about it in the past and can fill
people in on details if they're interested.

It'd be nice to get it building and running under MonoDevelop if
people are interested in that.  Making the code more modular so that
it's portable is a worthy task.  A lot of the KDE backends are
becoming out-of-date with the new KDE 4 apps coming out.  UI tweaks
are always welcome.  Lots and lots of things to do.

Thanks,