Re: Beagle on encrypted partitions yeilds horrible system performance

> I am hitting kind of a nasty performance problem, my current test setup is
> a two disk mdraid RAID0 setup with lvm ontop of a dmcrypt, all partitions
> beagle touches are ext4. Now every time beagle 0.3.4 indexes a folder, the
> entire system becomes near non responsive, typing yeilds detection of
> multiple key presses and kcryptd and beagle-helper are combined using 100%
> CPU (in about a 80/20 split with beagle being the 20%).

Hmm... and the "encrypted partition" is not a red-herring ? I mean, could it
be ext4 ? Could it be extended attribute in ext4 ? Could it be just some
undetected bug in beagle ? Ahh ... ok - "kcryptd and beagle-helper are
combined using 100% CPU (in about a 80/20 split with beagle being the 20%)" -
so there is something to do with kcryptd.

Can you try this test ? Take a reasonably large text file. Run
beagle-extract-content on it on a normal partition and your dmcrypted ext4
partition. If the time taken differs significantly, then there is a sure
problem there and we can start from there.

Unfortunately I am too far from using a dmcrypt partition on ext4 so it will
be hard for me to test this directly :-(

beagle / KDE / Mandriva / Inspiron-1100