Re: help for Beagle

(Replying with dashboard-hackers CCed)

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Bassam Abdel salam <b_zohni yahoo com> wrote:
> Thanks for your fast reply !
> Excuse me for explaining my problem in a greater details.
>
> Indeed, I have moved the folder .beagle (manually) from my /home directory
> to some other network directory where I have more spcae.
> BEAGLE_HOME:
> /sanssauvegarde/homes/bzohni/beagle_ind
>
> the follwoing are roots and excludes as appeared from beagle-config command.
>
> Current roots:
>  - Your home directory
>  - /users/local/research
>  - /users/local/pk1112c
>  - /sanssauvegarde/homes/bzohni/research
>
> User-specified resources to be excluded from indexing:
>  - [Path] /homes/bzohni/these/these
>  - [Path] /homes/bzohni/these/tech
>

> Before I send you my first email, there was a static index on
> /sanssauvegarde/homes/bzohni/research/.beagle
>
> All results of the search command (using the GUI) were comming from the
> directory /sanssauvegarde/homes/bzohni/research. And no answers were coming
> from the other two directories (my home directory or from
> /usr/local/reserach.)

This is very strange behaviour. Perhaps this was a bug in the older
2.6 version?

> Now, I have denied this static index ( I don't know if one have to use
> static index for each folder?) and therefore, results are comming only from
> conversations and email attachements.

This is even stranger behaviour, now the rest of the paths are being ignored..

> I remarked also that, when I shutdown the beagle, I can see the beagle and
> beagle-helper using the command ps -u username|beagle (is this normal)?

If you use `beagle-shutdown`, beagle should shut down completely. This
is not normal behaviour.

I strongly suggest you update to a newer version of Beagle (the
current version is 0.3.5). The older versions were not very mature,
and had bugs. The 0.3 series has several bug fixes and performance
improvements.

Cheers

PS: Please reply-to-all so that the replies are CCed to the list as
well, and please don't top-post

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan