Re: Reviving Semantic Relationships in Beagle

Hi Kevin,

... it became apparent that it wasn't so much the storage of metadata
that was important (lucene stores Properties, or 'Fields' just fine) but
relationships between data.
right, Lucene is excelent in storing and querying fields (properties of resources are string values), but fails when you want to follow / exploit relations (references to other resources, which are stored in Lucene as strings refering to URIs of other lucene documents). An RDF store supports such a join natively, because it is the very nature of an RDF query to have joins / to contain relations.

... so I propose the following means of 'hooking up' a RDF store to Beagle.

-New Query_Part which allows a rdf type query (raw) against the store.
-Wire into LuceneQueryDriver and LuceneIndexDriver to store new
relationships in RDF store and query them upon creation of a Hit.
-Add a more accessible API to Filter for Adding Parents/Children to
indexables.
relations are not always parent - child relations, they usually refer to related resources. For instance, an email tells you something about people that send / received the email, so a relation between the email and the involved people can be created. Or the email contains a link to a web page, which is clicked and indexed by beagle later, so these resources can also be connected via a relation. But these examples are no parent - child relations, but still provide valuable information for the user to find resources / browse results. In RDF, there is no need to restrict the notion of a relation to a parent-child relation.

While this seems like we are replicating much of the data in the
Lucene Fields, this is actually something completely different, we are
referencing an exact entity, not just a name, or subject. As a result
of this tree, not only can we adjust our scoring to account for
related items, but we can provide right-click options like 'See all
files by this author' etc. in a more intelligent mannor.
right, storing these relations does not mean the replication of metadata (properties). With the URIs that can be found on both sides of a relation, you can get all metadata from the Lucene index. You only additionally store the relation, not the metadata that are associated with a URI.

Regards,
Enrico M.