How does beagle get stopped?

Hi,

I am currently working on beagle++ and for us it's quite crucial to shut
down beagled cleanly and then shut down the rdf repository as well. I
did write a shell script that does just that if beagle is terminated,
shut down with beagle-shutdown or a TERM or INT signal is send to the
script. However this does not seem to work when logging out of a gnome
session or shutting down the computer.
So how does this normally work. What stops beagle when i halt my system?

thanks in advance,
ciao,
 Max