Re: Beagle indexing when running on batteries

Hi,

On 11/19/07, Miguel de Icaza <miguel ximian com> wrote:
> > > 2) If the Beagle already entered the "powersaving" mode successfully,
> > > is there any way to reduce the number of wakeups-per-second? As I
> > > understand, if Beagle is using /proc filesystem to get AC status, it
> > > needs some kind of polling. Is that the reason of wakeups?
> >
> > As I mentioned, this is a Mono bug.  You're correct, it does poll
> > /proc, but not 10 times a second.
>
> The polling is not related to /proc, at least the Mono side of things.
> The polling is related to thread sleeping in WaitForXXX APIs that need
> to be Thread.Aborted() at some point.

Yes, sorry, I didn't mean to conflate the two.  The "it" in my
original paragraph was referring to Beagle, not Mono.  These are two
totally separate and unrelated things.  So, to recap:

(1) Mono has a bug related to Beagle's use of Monitor.Wait() that
causes 10 wakeups per second.

(2) Beagle pokes the AC adapter files in /proc every once in a while.
I think every 5 or 10 seconds, although I don't know offhand.  It'd be
nice if this were ported over to HAL, which talks to the ACPI daemon
directly, I believe.

(1) and (2) have nothing to do with each other.