Re: Problem with LVM2 partition under Edgy

On Tuesday 27 February 2007, Forums @ Existanze wrote:
> I am running Ubuntu Edgy with an LVM2 /home partition which spans
> accross 2 partitions and 1 disk. When running beagle my computer just
> freezes about 40 minutes in.
>
> I tried looking in the beagle logs but there are no exceptions or
> errors, and I don't know where else to look for the culprit of the
> problem. I know it could be a single file that is causing beagle to
> crash and my system to freeze but that is very hard to find without some
> type of error somewhere.

You are most likely not getting anything in the log because of the freeze, the
filesystem cache is not being flushed to disk. I have not used Ubuntu so I do
not know the kernel config, etc. Most likely it is not a problem with beagle
since the computer freezes. It is very difficult for userspace software to
crash Linux. It could be somewhere that beagle uses such as inotify or
extended attributes.

Some questions:

1. Are you using inotify (check ~/.beagle/Logs/current-Beagle)
2. Are you using extended attributes? (check same file)
3. What filesystem is on /home? ext3, reiserfs, ...
4. Which kernel version?

Here are some things to try.

I. Attempt to get the logs saved on disk using the SysReq commands. This must
be enabled in the kernel config under kernel hacking.
	1. SysReq - S to sync disks
	2. SysReq - U to remount partitions read-only
	3. SysReq - R reboot
	4. Check in both beagle logs and kernel logs.

II. Use netconsole to get important kernel messages at the time of freeze.
This sends the kernel messages over the network where another computer can
log them.
	1. Configure netconsole in the kernel,
see /usr/src/linux/Documentation/netconsole.txt for instructions.
	2. Install cancd on another machine to get the logs.
	3. You probably need an ethernet card (not wireless) to do this. Not sure,
others may know.

III. Disable features to isolate the problem. I expect the kernel features
would be suspect:
	1. Disable both inotify and extended attributes (anyone how to do this in
beagle?)
	2. Run with only inotify.
	3. Run with only extended attributes.

Out of curiousity, why 2 partitions and 1 disk ?

--
Pat Double, pat patdouble com
"Ye must be born again." - John 3:7