Re: Beagle search on selected files

Hi,

Daniel Fern�ez wrote:
Example: I want to search "people" on files "file:///home/user/doc1.doc" and "file:///home/user/doc2.doc" but are indexed all /home/user

Ok, yeah, you basically have three and a half options:

1. Run your query, get as many results as possible and filter in the query as much as possible, and then filter out the results afterward. For example: "beagle-query --type File --max-hits 10000 people" and then take the intersection of the results and your set of files.

2a. Build a complex query using beagle-query which is basically "people file1 OR file2 OR file3 OR etc." I suspect this will have terrible performance -- programatically building queries with query parsers is always a bad idea.

2b. Write a small tool to use the Beagle programmatic APIs to build the same query. This will probably perform better but it'll still be slow if you're searching for hundreds of files.

3. Build a static index like Bera said and search against those. If you're going to be doing very similar queries a lot, this might be the most efficient in the long term, although you pay the penalty of building the index up front.