Re: Beagle, e-d-s and evolution-sharp

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 13:58 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:

> I am using e-d-s 1.6.0, and my libecal's so number is 3.
>
> If the library major version number changed, that would imply a change
> in the API, which is supposed to be a no-no within the stable (1.6.x)
> series of e-d-s.
>
> It might be a good idea to ask the Evolution developers if this is the
> case.  (Either on the evolution-hackers mailing list or in #evolution on
> IRC.)
>
> I'm reticent to change anything until I know a bit more.
>
> Joe

[Forgot to cc the list]

I dug this up a little bit from e-d-s changelog and evolution-hacker
list archive and I found that was an ABI break at some point and the so
number was bumped in 1.6.3 release. Here is the corresponding changelog
and the diff[1]:

2006-05-29  Harish Krishnaswamy

        * NEWS, configure.in: Release updates, bump version.
        Correct the libecal and libedatacal versions to reflect
        the ABI break in a prior release.

Here are some related posts from the list
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-hackers/2006-May/msg00000.html
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-hackers/2006-July/msg00165.html

[1]
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/evolution-data-server/configure.in?r1=1.159.2.7&r2=1.159.2.8&only_with_tag=gnome-2-14