listener for beagle requests setup error

I'm trying to assess where my Beagle install is at.

When running beagle-index-info, it lists 'documentation' and 'applications' as 'Indexing: False', yet it has a 'count' of several hundred for each. I don't know  why it has a count although no indexing is apparently done.
I'm interested in indexing and searching the system, not only my /home directory, and I thought the 'documentation' and 'applications' backends might be relevant.
When I tried to add them, (eg, beagle --backend +documentation), I got the following message:
'Debug: Loading Beagle.Util.Conf+IndexingConfig from indexing.xml
Debug: Loading Beagle.Util.Conf+DaemonConfig from daemon.xml
Debug: Loading Beagle.Util.Conf+SearchingConfig from searching.xml
Debug: Loading Beagle.Util.Conf+NetworkingConfig from networking.xml
Debug: Loading Beagle.Util.Conf+WebServicesConfig from webservices.xml
Debug: Starting Beagle Daemon (version 0.2.6)
Debug: Running on Mono 1.1.13.6
Debug: Command Line: /usr/lib/beagle/BeagleDaemon.exe --backend +documentation --bg
Debug: Established a connection to the X server
Debug: Starting main loop
Debug: Starting messaging server
Error: Could not set up the listener for beagle requests.  There is probably another beagled instance running.  Use --replace to replace the running service'

The beagled --replace command successfully changed the demon (as shown by 'ps'), but did not prevent the above message from being spat out again, verbtim.
I don't understand why Beagle tries to start a demon when one is running. I don't know why 'debugging' starts, suggesting that sth is wrong.
The command was run after apt-get build-dep and restarting (init 1, init 2).

Finally, am I in the right place to ask these questions, or is it a developer list?

Thanks a lot.

Jackn

--
Haïm Roïtgrund