Re: Patch: support for embedded lyrics in Mp3 files

Hi Tom,

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 10:24 +0100, Tom Lofts wrote:
> I don't have much knowledge of beagle, entagged or mono, so the patch
> has been kind of cobbled together based on example code, though I'll do
> my best to answer these questions.

You did a good job.

> AFAIK entagged handles this bit. The exception is caught in Tag.Get()
> with this code:
>
> if(list == null) {
>      return new ArrayList();
> }

Ok, looks good.

> The entire contents of the LYR bit are stored as one element. I don't
> see any need to have it seperated and stored line by line.

Nor do I, and I don't want it to be.  How it was stored wasn't clear to
me, and since you were doing a foreach other the elements of the
ArrayList, I feared it was stored like that.

> I'm not sure what you mean by making this the content of the file? How
> does beagle index it if it's not a property (sorry if I'm being really
> stupid here).

Beagle stores text in two different ways: it's either part of the file
content or it's part of a property.

If you take a PDF document, all of the text within the document would be
stored as the content.  Metadata like the title, author, etc. would be
stored as properties.

It might make sense to store the lyrics of a song as the content of the
document rather than in a lyrics property, but I am not 100% sure on
that.  To do that, you would essentially attach a TextReader to the
indexable rather than creating a property for it.

> Yes that would make sense I think, IMO the lyrics only need to be
> searched and not stored, cheers.

I tend to agree, and in that sense it probably makes the most sense to
store the lyrics as the content of the document.

Thanks,