Re: Beagle Web Interface coming ...

Ikke,

An "integral http server" makes Beagle offer web access, independent of
XSP. It makes webaccess a stand-alone feature in Beagle. Also, since it
is part of Beagle, the DBus IPC overhead needed in case of a webapp
hosted on an xsp is eliminated. Beagle already has HTML generation code
(for Best) as part of the Tiles assembly, which I am reusing to support
Web access.

Since the ASP.Net engine (HttpRuntime) is a separate process, all we
need to do is receive http requests, feed them to the ASP.Net engine
pipeline and send back the response. I discussed this with Gonzalo
(author for xsp) and he felt we could do this within a few hundred lines
of code. So, we don't need a full fledged web server added in beagle to
offer web access.

Another keypoint is that this minimal httpServer serves as the
foundation for supporting the web service interface to Beagle. (If I
replace beagled.aspx with beagled.asmx in
http://localhost:8888/beagled.aspx, I get access to the web service
interface to the local beagled). This will allow Beagle to be networked
allowing access from other users, devices (PDA's) etc. So, it provide
infrastructure to host both a 'web interface' and a 'web-service
interface' opening new networking opportunities in future for Beagle.

Vijay

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 12:34 -0700, Vijay KN wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have been working on adding a web browser access to Beagle. At
this
> point, I have integrated a minimal http server into Beagle (taking
code
> from xsp) and developed ASP.Net Web-forms based interface to query
> Beagle from a browser.
I don't think it's a good idea to integrate a HTTP server, even if
it's
as small as XSP, into beagle(d). It won't provide any more
functionality
than just running the webapp itself in "normal" XSP (using DBUS# to
talk
to beagled from withing the CodeBehind code of the webapp), and takes
away the need to maintain the webservercode in Beagle.

Just my .02...

Ikke