Re: Beagle and nautilus

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 16:44 +0000, Joel M wrote:
> > Hmm, the fact about beagle - it's a great product - but..
> >
> > Beagle is the best opensource indexing service out there, the sad thing
> > is that it's depends on gnome libs -
> > it whould been much more fun if it where freedesktop kinda thing :)
>
> Yeah, this would be a nice thing to do.  Ignoring the UIs, the only real
> GNOME (not gtk!) dependency is the mime detection we're doing with
> gnome-vfs.  It would be a great starting project for someone to get us
> ported over to the xdgmime stuff, because that code is all pretty
> self-contained.

There are several beagle/chooser-fu/xdgmime* c/header files (probably
written by Jon Trowbridge but not touched for 17 months!) Looks like
they were writen to create beagle-aware GtkFileChooser. What do the
xdg*.{c,h} files actually do ? Can they be used to port gnomevfs
mime-detection to xdgmime ?

> Off of the top of my head, I think the main thing we're using gtk for in
> the daemon is the main loop.  Porting this over to just using our own
> main loop and threads would probably allow us to drop that dependency,
> but that's a lot more work.

There is actually a feature request in bugzilla with the same request.

- d.