From: Al Baker <ajb732 comcast net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:06:18 -0500
Subject: Re: applicable Re: Voice recognition for dashboard
To: Srikant Jakilinki <sriks dcs gla ac uk>
Cc: Dashboard Hackers <dashboard-hackers gnome org>

 Where is the speech recognition application though?  Obviously, it's
probably not on the voice mail server.  It would have to be on
whatever application you were running on your linux desktop that let
you listen your voicemails with, like one of those linux SIP phones
(linphone or that modification to GAIM).

 In either case, if there's a phone application that's sending clue
packets there's probably better [and easier] things to get.  For
example, a phone could send clue packets based on the call itself
(name of the caller, time of call, duration of call, if the call was
answered or not, etc).  All of this information is available via
standard headers in the SIP protocol.

 Getting back to ASR, I guess you could have some ASR filtering your
voice stream in the phone and it could add those extra clues for those
dates, times, and locations -- but it wouldn't give any other context
to that clue.  For example, if you dialed into a voice mail system you
probably already know who left the voice mail and when it was left.
If you're listening to a voice mail message, like "Hey Srikant, the
concert is on the 19th at 8 o'clock", I'm guessing that the ASR is
going to be able to recognize "19th" and "8 o'clock", so
programmatically you have whatever information you get from the voice
mail server about the message (who left it and when) and some of this
data -- but it wouldn't have your name or that it was a concert
[unless concert appears in the locations grammar].

 At the moment, I don't think there's any linux voice mail application
- either stand alone or as a feature in linphone/gaim's SIP version).
So, if you wanted your voice mail you're probably dialing an external
number to some external mailbox and getting your voicemails through a
prompt system.  The reason I bring this up is because there'd be no
saving of voice mail messages on the user's PC.  So, there'd be no way
to easily launch something to hear the voicemail once you found the
information in dashboard.

 The more I think about it, getting SIP support into GAIM and then
getting more clues from GAIM would be a really great thing.

 Al