Re: beagle-index-gaim-logs killed my system

Hi all,

On 04/08/04 11:28, Michael A. Koziarski wrote:
I have quite a few gaim logs, though not an insanely large number, but something about them causes beagle-index-gaim-logs to completely freak out.

It successfully indexes a number of the conversations, then when it hits one of the larger ones it prints the following warning:

GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 335548416):
        May lead to memory leak and poor performance.

And then the poor performance begins. My system becomes almost totally non-responsive & I have to hit C-c repeatedly till it eventually dies.

I've been meaning to mention a similar situation I had, whereupon hitting a certain log file the indexer started consuming vast amounts of memory until it just killed itself off.

I traced this to StripTags in Util/ImLog.cs which removes any HTML from a given line of input. However, I found a single occasion in my logs -- in old-style gaim log format -- which had a piece of HTML split over two lines, thus causing the infinite loop as StripTags tried to search for '>' on that line.

I guess the only way to solve this is to allow the log parser to read ahead in the log file somehow. Or in the meantime, use the "--verbose" flag with beagle-index-gaim-logs and investigate the conversation it gets stuck on. That is, assuming what you've encountered here isn't some new, unrelated problem!

Regards,
Chris