Re: flickr as datasource

On 8/29/07, Thomas Van Machelen <thomas vanmachelen gmail com> wrote:
Hi all,

Last night, i added the possibility to use your smugmug and picasa
albums as datasource.  This means you can now fully keep a local folder
and your smugmug/picasa album in sync.

Excellent. This is a natural progression.

This has not been done yet for the flickr provider for the following
reasons:
1. flickr does not have the notion of albums
2. i could use a search on tags in your current account, just like you
can tag when you upload to flickr.  The problem here is that currently
you don't need to specify a tag when uploading, so that would require
different configuration behaviour for source vs sink

3. i could sync with a photo-set; but again that would require different
configuration (which we currently do not support (?)).  And i don't know
how much real flickr users - which i am not - use that concept.

I use photo-sets more than tags for this type of organization. They are pretty close to albums.

 I think it would be appropriate to be able to specify a photo-set that the photos may be added to during upload. I would like to remove tags from the upload UI altogether. When something like tracker gets into GNOME then conduit should just work, and pick up the tags from there.

The downside with the sets approach, vs that of tags, is that adding a photo to a set is a second API call, and cannot be specified during upload. Also, the user refers to sets by name, and conduit will have to do some calls in refresh() to map photo-set names to photo-set ids.

So yeah, even with these limitation I support photo-sets. Removing tags and adding photo-sets keeps flickr consistant as a source and a sink, and keeps it consistent with the other dataproviders that call these things albums.

John

Suggestions welcome,
Thomas