Odd issue when subclassing Mx.Widget rather than Clutter.Actor

Hi,

Hopefully someone can clarify why this is happening for me. If I subclass Clutter.Actor, any child widgets I place inside are automatically drawn. However if I take the same class and change it to subclass from Mx.Widget, none of the children are drawn. If I change for example the background colour of the top level widget, I see the change. I can't find anything in the Mx reference that explains this, so hopefully someone here can. I suspect it might be something to do with "realizing" the widgets, since when I checked that property, the widget and all the children had "realized" set to false. This didn't change when I called "realize" for the widget or the children.

Thanks.